Thursday, June 18, 2009

Boats

I'm just thinking...

I miss my old Hinemoa 'Sebastian'. I miss messing about on the water. Should I build or should I buy? The cheapest Hinemoa of worth is around £2,000. To build a Hinemoa is around £5,000. With second-hand boats, there is all the extras that come with them. Though with building a Hinemoa, the cost of the plans is £210 or £278 with the Tiki rig plans. The cost of the build can be spread over the time it takes to raise the finance. Though the build time is around 500 hours, this can be spread over several years, depending on the speed of financing. Should I wait another few years to go sailing? Should I take pleasure from the building? Where should I build?

I have been following Neil is his build project - 'Gleda' at www.gleda.org. We are of a similar age. I have the added responsibilty of a young family. Time and money is very precious now and to find either for myself is quite difficult. Perhaps, I can get my boys interested in building? Though, there is the concern of exposing them to the dangers of epoxy resin. Still much to think about...

No comments: