Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Internet Identity Theft

Bummer! I have been the victim of an Internet Identify Theft. I just got paid and decided I needed new ink cartridges for my printer, so lunch-time I went to my local computer shop to buy some cartridges only to have my card declined! I went to the ATM and though it was showing a healthy balance neither the ATM or the shop would let me use my card.

I telephoned my bank (via the usual call centre in India - that was no fun!) and they told me the card had been blocked and referred to their fraud department. I then spoke to a member of the bank's fraud department and he confirmed my card had been used in several attempts to make purchases online ranging from £1,000 downwards. Fortunately, for me, being just before payday my account was looking a bit anaemic and all the transactions were refused. It was at this point fraud was suspected and the card was blocked. Had the fraudster(s) waited until the end of the month and I could have lost this month's salary!

Now all I have to do is wait for a new card (about a week) and the inconvenience that entails. C'est la vie! A lesson learnt. I have a pre-pay debit card and I will use that in future for my online purchases and keep my bank card well away from the Internet! Phew! That was close.

No comments: